  • In total there are 75 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Depth Infor lost over 15 knots

by Bigplumbs » 27 Oct 2017, 06:35

On 2 of my boats where I have Garmin transom mounted transducers and garmin chart plotter combo and Striker 4 depth equipment. I loose the depth information (Depth just flashes and holds the last depth it had). when on the plane and over about 15 knots. Both these boats have outboards and I have mounted the transducers on the starboard (Right) side of the motor on the transom as the garmin instructions.

I was wondering if anyone else gets this and what a solution might be

Thanks

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by sprocker » 27 Oct 2017, 07:13

Sounds like your transducers are getting turbulance (bubbles) from the drives. Can you move them further away or re-locate them inside the hull?

I have always used the inside hull 'oil bath' method of location, works very well but you do lose the water temp facility.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by betty boop » 27 Oct 2017, 07:44

sprocker wrote:Sounds like your transducers are getting turbulance (bubbles) from the drives. Can you move them further away or re-locate them inside the hull?

I have always used the inside hull 'oil bath' method of location, works very well but you do lose the water temp facility.

That makes sense as to why my temp shows tropical water temps all the time, I thought I was going mad with 25 deg Torbay water?

the loose of depth info I have too when on plane, from an internal transducer but only occasionally, I just take it as something I have to put up with - not sure thats accurate description or a fault?
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by sprocker » 27 Oct 2017, 09:01

betty boop wrote:That makes sense as to why my temp shows tropical water temps all the time, I thought I was going mad with 25 deg Torbay water?

the loose of depth info I have too when on plane, from an internal transducer but only occasionally, I just take it as something I have to put up with - not sure thats accurate description or a fault?

Could it be that the transducer is positioned in a part of the hull that is not always fully submerged when on the plane ? Even a few bubbles between the transducer and water can make a difference between good or bad readings.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by sprocker » 27 Oct 2017, 09:03

sprocker wrote:
betty boop wrote:That makes sense as to why my temp shows tropical water temps all the time, I thought I was going mad with 25 deg Torbay water?

the loose of depth info I have too when on plane, from an internal transducer but only occasionally, I just take it as something I have to put up with - not sure thats accurate description or a fault?

25 degs in Torbay?? You know these waters better than that Ian.

Could it be that your transducer is positioned in a part of the hull that is not always fully submerged when on the plane ? Even a few bubbles between the transducer and water can make a difference between good or bad readings.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by Ianfs » 27 Oct 2017, 10:05

A couple more suggestions to add.

Less likely but worth checking, are the transducers straight or at a slight angle? I expect you already know this but they send out a triangular ping which as it gets deeper might not be read if the transducer is pointing slightly backwards .

More likely, have you checked the "range" settings. I don't know your set up but they should have range settings which may be causing the problem.

Also further to Andy's answer, did you fit the transducers so they were flush with the bottom of the hull? I expect you did because you said they were fitted as per Garmins instructions, but transom mounted transducers need to be below the waterline at all times and they need to see all round in order to work properly. Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs Dennis but it is worth asking. :)

by Bigplumbs » 27 Oct 2017, 15:52

All good advice I think I will try dropping it as much as possible. There is a reasonable amount of travel on the mount so that will be the first thing to do. I don't think I will go with in hull as that is quite expensive and these are only speed boats after all. Also I quite like the tempreture function

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Xboatboyx » 27 Oct 2017, 18:50

Our depth gauge can get confused over 40 knots but is usually fine for anything under.
Regal 2250 - 350mag Mercruiser
User avatar
Xboatboyx
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Location: Thames, Poole, Southampton, wherever

by shibbs » 27 Oct 2017, 22:04

Mine is mounted inside the hull in a tube with oil, it is also useless at anything over 15 kts, not that great under 15 to be fair. I can only imagine I have some air in the tube.
Hope you manage to find a solution.

by ChrisH » 28 Oct 2017, 06:14

I had the same issue...
Lowered it as much as I could which was literally millimetres and changed the angle slightly so it was toe down just a bit and get perfect readings now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

Next