  • In total there are 51 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 50 guests

Motor Boat Forum

New Toy added to the fleet

by Bigplumbs » 12 Oct 2017, 12:08

Ianfs wrote:
I may even now try and mend the damaged float to see if I can.

I'm by no means an expert on this but I either read it somewhere or was told that the weight of carb floats is critical. Therefore if you welded it with a soldering iron that may work. :)

That is indeed my plan. Now I am sorted I am going to give it a try. Why not I say

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by BruceK » 12 Oct 2017, 16:16

Ianfs wrote:I'm by no means an expert on this but I either read it somewhere or was told that the weight of carb floats is critical. Therefore if you welded it with a soldering iron that may work. :)

:D you've been hanging around to many aircraft mechanics. Yes, in multi-carbed aircraft engines where carb balancing is critical one of the routine inspections is weighing the floats. Not so critical here where really it's fuel height you are more concerned about.
BruceK

by Ianfs » 12 Oct 2017, 18:28

you've been hanging around to many aircraft mechanics.

Nice try Bruce. :lol:

Unfortunately, I don't know any aircraft mechanics who service piston engine aircraft with carbs these days, sadly just old fashioned marine engines . However,I do know a few who work on high by pass ratio turbo fan engines :mrgreen:

by Bigplumbs » 17 Oct 2017, 17:34

Went out today in the Rib on my own and the engine performed very well. It is a bit lively with just one on board and gets on the plane rather quickly being so light.

When on the plane it sits beautifully on the water but rides a bit nose up at displacement speed when trying to do 5-6 knots into the tide. Need a bit of bow weight I think. I have a better heavier anchor than the 2 kg one I have so I think I will put that up front

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 26 Oct 2017, 21:48

Lovely couple of days weather here in Suffolk with quite uncommon flat sea. Took this new to me rib round from the river Deben to the orwell and down to Ipswich plus return. Total of 50 miles round trip. With 2 on board this little rib rides lovely

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 27 Oct 2017, 07:08

Looks like some will have some great weather for a few days but mid west coast might have high winds.

Previous