  • In total there are 114 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 114 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 114 guests

Motor Boat Forum

New Toy added to the fleet

by Ianfs » 09 Oct 2017, 16:46

Quite that is why I try to do as much as I can myself

Don't blame you Dennis, well done on finding the fault,if that was missed by a pro its appalling.

I would love to know the reason the carb was cleaned back in March, maybe it had an ultrasound clean which was poorly done damaging the float. Surely the pro would have noticed the engine running badly when he ran it up?

by Bigplumbs » 10 Oct 2017, 08:02

Ianfs wrote:
Quite that is why I try to do as much as I can myself

Don't blame you Dennis, well done on finding the fault,if that was missed by a pro its appalling.

I would love to know the reason the carb was cleaned back in March, maybe it had an ultrasound clean which was poorly done damaging the float. Surely the pro would have noticed the engine running badly when he ran it up?

The hole in the float is very small indeed so it may have taken time to fill so if he never stripped the carbs just did ultra sound he could have put it all back together and it would work ok.

I still think any carb clean should include opening them up

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 10 Oct 2017, 09:53

I still think any carb clean should include opening them up

I was just about to ask you if you would think it should still be opened up.

I do know some very competent and fastidious marine engineers, the good ones are nearly always difficult to get hold of or you have to book them weeks in advance. It's the same with rogue or useless car mechanics/fitters, they are usually available at short notice and the good ones are always booked up.

When Ed stripped my carb down he insisted that I buy the cab kit which replaced needles, gaskets and seals etc. He was fastidious about the float adjustments too. Consequently I would have thought that even with an ultrasound clean, as you have said you would still want to replace bits and pieces or at least inspect it.

by BruceK » 10 Oct 2017, 10:07

I loathe paying other people to do work on my boat. I am competent with cars and bikes which I restore (classics) as a hobby. However there is / was a steep learning curve when it comes to boat diesels. As a result I have placed my trust in a few local marine engineers and always been let down by shoddy work. I went to the Volvo agents as a last resort and they just basically asked for an open cheque book. Refused to quote and refused to stop once they had started. It was a policy of we either do everything or nothing. Mind you, they were excellent and I get that with the Land Rover Disco 3 too. It doesn't help to tell them it's a 10 year old car and I dont mind a bit of wear, but oh no, they want to put it back to show room condition every time I ask for a oil change service. So caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. The scary bit about diesel lumps and DIY though is get it wrong and potentially you are looking at an investment in a chainsaw and skip.
BruceK

by Bigplumbs » 10 Oct 2017, 16:52

I agree that a big Diesel lump would scare me to work on myself. I just have so little faith in the so called Professionals that is my problem I suppose.

Now waiting on the replacement parts to rebuild the carb then see if I have sorted the problem

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by betty boop » 11 Oct 2017, 07:59

well its good to read that my loath of anyone calling them selves a professional unless I know they are or have proved themselves is carried by other too. I know you cant cast everyone in the same light and there are plenty of very good 'engineering professionals' but it doesnt stop with them. respect for any work carried out is the only experience by the lucky few in my experience. There are excellent builders and sparks like there are mechanics but I read time after time online that all qualified trades are professionals and yet the 'qualified' retards I saw this week would turn even the stomach of even incompetent DIYer's who had zero respect for a persons home and belongings. professionals by paid your council tax earning good money, quite happy at angle grinding 10 x 12 inch sq holesto mount a single back box in the house with doors open etc dust n cr'p everywhere. . makes me sick people get paid to act like that in someones home. thank god it wasnt mine or Id be locked up by now.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Bigplumbs » 12 Oct 2017, 10:06

Managed to get 2 new replacement carbs on ebay for £100 so I now have some other spares. Took the float out of one and put it in my carb. Put the carb back on the boat and started her up and it now runs a dream. Very pleased

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 12 Oct 2017, 11:16

Are you going to put the float back in the new carb and fit it, you'll then have a brand new carb on it?

by Bigplumbs » 12 Oct 2017, 11:29

Ianfs wrote:Are you going to put the float back in the new carb and fit it, you'll then have a brand new carb on it?

No the carbs I bought (2 Nr) from ebay were second hand. I paid £100 for both. I did this instead of £40 for just a float so that I had spares and other bits if the float was not the only issue. It seems that it was though

I have decided to keep the original carb with the replacement float (from one of the old carbs) as I am not sure if the carbs are perhaps balanced as a set or something similar.

I may even now try and mend the damaged float to see if I can. Either way I now have some spares which is always handy

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Ianfs » 12 Oct 2017, 11:44

I may even now try and mend the damaged float to see if I can.

I'm by no means an expert on this but I either read it somewhere or was told that the weight of carb floats is critical. Therefore if you welded it with a soldering iron that may work. :)

PreviousNext