  • In total there are 53 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 52 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Planning the Dream

by del936 » 10 Mar 2018, 14:55

The longest 6 weeks so far. Bloody mortgage companies led by ridiculously stringent FCA guidance uber knee-jerk. Grrrrrrr. Still first bit should be sorted in next 2 weeks and then 2nd part of financing should take around 4 weeks if they pull their fingers out.
del936
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 10:21

by Stevie101 » 19 Mar 2018, 17:42

Hi Del,

I hope it all going well.
We are at the beginning of doing a similar thing as yourself, we bought a P37 last year and will be using it and getting it ready so the sun over the next couple of years. We have planned on taking it on the French rivers for a couple of summers before traveling down to the Med through France.
Keep us all updated on your progress and if I can help in any way don't hesitate to contact me.
If it's got Tyres, Tits or goes on the water it's going to be expensive
Stevie101
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 20:36
Location: Sunny Sheffield by the Sea

by del936 » 19 Mar 2018, 19:17

Hi Stevie,

So when are you actually starting your journey over there? Assuming the finance comes together we are looking at getting the practice in this year and then possibly doing some winter cruising or heading down to the Bay of Biscay and Northern Spain next spring and summer. We're not sure yet whether we want to spend the first year in this area or get all the way around to the Med. Either way it might be good to meet up sometime if your interested.

Cheers
del936
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 10:21

by Stevie101 » 19 Mar 2018, 20:58

Hi Del

We are up near Hull at the moment and I'm taking my day skipper this spring, so wi will be out and about on the east coast this summer. We want to try our first channel crossing next summer.
We have been getting to know the boat and checking all the systems during the winter so we are now happy I can change the filters ect quite easily. Cleaned the tanks out, changed some of the skin fittings and basic maintenance.
How's it going with buying your boat?
If it's got Tyres, Tits or goes on the water it's going to be expensive
Stevie101
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 20:36
Location: Sunny Sheffield by the Sea

by del936 » 20 Mar 2018, 12:42

Still raising the finance. It has to be done in two stages and first stage nearly complete. It is touch and go as to whether we raise enough.

Assuming it all comes together I intend to do the same as you this year but on the south coast. I assume you will head down to the south coast before crossing. We will probably do somethink like Cherbourg and then carry on around the corner into Biscay. We might stop off around the Vendee as we go thier quite a lot. My favourite beach is there. After that, not sure but idea is to continue moving it to the Med.

How do you fancy going over in covoy?
del936
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 10:21

by Stevie101 » 20 Mar 2018, 17:30

Convoy would be good if we can tie the dates together.
It's gonna be expensive going to the Med via Biscay, have you thought of going through France ?
Takes about a month if your not rushing.
If it's got Tyres, Tits or goes on the water it's going to be expensive
Stevie101
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 20:36
Location: Sunny Sheffield by the Sea

by del936 » 20 Mar 2018, 18:37

I know about the cost and have got spreadsheets coming out of my ears. I want to do the Biscay route partly because I want the challenge. We are also not going to be in a rush and if the weather causes us to hold up somewhere then we accept that.

We only have a high-level plan but the idea is to do part liveaboard for around 5 months of the year from 2019 but not in one stretch.

I would be happy to do the journey solo but if we can tie up the dates it would provide little peace of mind knowing you have someone nearby for the first channel crossing.

Lets keep in touch and see how things pan out.
del936
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 10:21