• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:40
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 61 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 60 guests

Motor Boat Forum

16 Days adrift

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 10:35

Typically 2 things always happen at the start of a summer cruise. It takes two car loads to get all madams shite down to the docks and then a third for the kids and dog and I have a big ol Disco 3 to do it in. And it always is in foul weather. Between moaning and lugging holiday treats from dock to boat I notice that most of the bags contain my sort of holiday food. So it's not all bad. Still, Hurricane Gert is making a nuisance of himself and I'm soaked to the bone, foul mood and ready to kick the dog by the time everything and everyone is onboard. A final rush to the fuel pontoon to bunker 1000 litres of diesel and 600 litres of water and and we're off!

We're never gonna get on the fking plane I moan as we waddle up the estuary having lost 3 inches of freeboard. All this weight in here! I dodged the slap as madam pursed her lips and stomped down below having misunderstood my intent again. We all have a cross to bear I sigh as we passed Perch and our adventure began.

Now I knew we were heading into some big blows, but Amanzi is a tough old girl, and I wasn't let down on either account. No sooner had we hit the channel than we were hit beam on by a nasty chop that had the kids squealing in outrage followed by their Haribo's for breakfast. Chuck it overboard I nod at the chum bucket. We'll lose a kilo right there! More pursed lips and the cabin door slams shut.

The cockpit to myself I vectored into the swell and gave the throttles handfuls of welly and with a malicious satisfaction I heard more outrage and bumps as Amanzi lifted her bow high into the air and charged over the chop in big booming bounces. That's my girl, 24 knts cruise no matter the weight or swells. This might just turn out alright after all.
BruceK

by Ianfs » 05 Sep 2017, 10:56

Oooo, you are naughty. :mrgreen:
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 11:09

By the time I had tacked 25 miles to Puffin Island and the north entrance to the Menai straights down to Beaumarris I felt I had regained some superiority and respect as captain of my vessel and eased up to a gentle 12knts just above the hole and supercharger whine so madam could make me coffee with bon bons and biccy's. The kids, suitably subdued and no longer bickering over the chromecast and playstation, and avoiding the big bowl of Harribo's like the plague, fell asleep in their bunks as the seasick tabs finally kicked in an hour late.

We made Abermenai and the south entrance to the straights after the cut off for 3 hrs either side of HW so chucked out the hook in the shelter of the Llandwyn spit and watched Gert advance.

Others were not so wise....

And so it was that in the next 3 days that we sheltered in the storm that many such incidents seemed to happen. One raggie ignoring my advice dragged anchor to the mouth another managed to hole his boat when he struck a channel buoy. It's all fun and games. We hunkered down and had beach BBQ's between showers. Madam in her wisdom had packed a 5 man tent. I'm sure a couple of brollies would have saved weight I moaned.

BruceK

by ColinR » 05 Sep 2017, 11:28

Love it. Well done for sticking to the plan and going ahead. Nothing like some bad weather to clear the decks!
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 11:28

Day 4. We've settled into the swing of things nicely, the winds have lost some of their severity and if we are going to make a mad dash of it, it may as well be tomorrow! Besides we have 2 days of water left and This Lady Is Not For Turning! We can make the Caernafon Bar at 11 am and be around Bardsey Sound by slack water. We got the power!

Day 5 the wind picks up again. Fkit, we're off anyway. The Bar was horrendous, so bad we didn't bother with pics, too busy holding on and it shaved a half hour off our allocated time to Bardsey negotiating it. It was at this point the youngest's litany of Why do we do this, we're gonna die! began.

Pwllheli or bust!

About five miles past the bar the waters settled to a comfortable 3ft chop and we gave her some welly.

Racing birds!

BruceK

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 11:34

Having beaten the bird over a 5 minute race I charged into Bardsey sound and crapped my drags!
BruceK

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 11:49

Pictures and videos never do justice to wave height or power. Bardsey was a mess. A 6 to 8 foot confused swirling cauldron that popped out the fridge and one porthole window trim as the sides flexed. The boat went from 28knts to 14 in a boatlength hitting it. The wavelength was only slightly longer than the boat and I had to ride the superchargers to stay on the back of the swell in front

Note the following vids. The freeboard of the boat is 5 foot above waterline, the helm 9 foot above the waterline. Watch the bow against the horizon and the freeboard when she broaches

The Sound

Devils Ridge Overfalls

BruceK

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 12:02

tbc later. got to get out for a while :)
BruceK

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 15:01

After rounding the headland to Abersoch the sea settled back into a more sedate chop and we were able to pick up speed to Pwllheli giving the superchargers a break. We had done a total of 110 miles for 347 litres. Not too bad considering the conditions.

We spent a day in Pwllheli hobnobbing amongst some impressive boats catching up on supplies, water, fuel, laundry and repairs. I was really rather peeved that to save weight I had taken some tools off the boat. Drills etc. Now I had to splash out £200 quid on new tools that I already had at home to put the fridge back in and repair the porthole. (The local builder supplies only stocked Makita and DeWalt so no cheap drills available).

This beauty caught my eye. Berthed opposite me on the hammerhead she is of all steel construction of such fine quality she looks like a GRP mold. Not a single weld seam, rivet or blemish to mark her beautiful sides

I had to laugh. Staffies aren't all they are talked up to be. After reaching Pwllheli and taking the dog for a walk it refused to get back on the boat and howled in abject misery when I hoisted him aboard. He has as many sea miles as us but this one broke him.

BruceK

by BruceK » 05 Sep 2017, 15:06

The next morning we hit the sea again heading down towards Aberdwfi. The sea was still a mess with a very short period 4 foot chop that reduced us to 17 knts when a head sea and caused us to roll like drunkards in a beam sea.

The usual litany of why do we do this we are going to die began once more

BruceK

Next

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu