• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:53
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 48 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Jeanneau Merry Fisher 585

by johnbaldachino » 02 Sep 2017, 10:46

I own a Jeanbeau Merry Fisher 585, 2010 model. I get water ingress into the cockpit when it rains.
The water appears to be seeping in through the sliding doors some where behind the fixed door panel. The water leaks into the cockpit from the gap between the fixed door and seat compartment.
Not sure how the water gets in and would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
johnbaldachino
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 03 Sep 2017, 10:15

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I know this may sound a bit obvious and you may have already tried it but are you able to get a hosepipe on board with a spray head and switch it to Shower. Then spray the fixed window with someone the other side to see if you can find the leak?

It might be something as simple as a re-seal with some clear bathroom sealant.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by johnbaldachino » 03 Sep 2017, 10:36

I have already tried the hose and found it comes in through the fixed door but I don't know how. I could be through the frame of through the rubber seals. I would like to try replacing the rubber seals but don't know where to get them. Thanks.
johnbaldachino
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 03 Sep 2017, 19:04

I could be through the frame of through the rubber seals. I would like to try replacing the rubber seals but don't know where to get them. Thanks.

As we all know water ingress is a black art, it finds its way past the smallest cracks. I would have thought it more likely that it would be coming in where the frame meets the fibreglass and may need a re-seal.

I've no idea where you would get the glass seals, my only suggestion might be contact Jeanneau or a double glazing repair centre.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by betty boop » 04 Sep 2017, 10:00

johnbaldachino wrote:I have already tried the hose and found it comes in through the fixed door but I don't know how. I could be through the frame of through the rubber seals. I would like to try replacing the rubber seals but don't know where to get them. Thanks.

I have water ingress through porthole windows, which could be the similar - dirt has got under the sticky 'o' ring seals on both sides -being 'TaylorMade' Windows they seem to be common enough. it took me ages to figure it out but the corners gave way to year of dirt ingress and then letting in water etc etc. You'll have to strip back the seals to find the dirt, from experience a new seal will be needed or try silicone (messy but may work) re-gluing the seal didnt work. Whichever I suspect its dirt in there somewhere breaking a seal.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu