• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:31
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 64 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 64 guests

Motor Boat Forum

very slight gearbox leak

by NikTheGeek » 18 Aug 2017, 19:24

I have a very slight gearcase leak. The gear oil is a little creamy but only a little. I have ordered a new seal set, but in the meantime, I have some Wynns HLPS transmission stop leak which is meant for any gearbox or diff on a car. Would you stick some in with a change of gear oil? Even if you don't think it would work, do you think it would do any harm? I have enough to mix with 1 litre of gear oil - which is all I need anyway.

My first thought is not to mix anything with gear oil for a lower unit, but then that would hold true for a car too.

What do you think?

Nick
Seadoo Spark (for now)
ʞǝǝbǝɥʇʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ɹǝʇʇıʍʇ
ɹǝzʇןǝɯsʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ʞooqǝɔɐɟ
NikTheGeek
Original Geek and Elderly Punk Rocker

by NikTheGeek » 19 Aug 2017, 08:53

I've proved it's coming from the shifter seal. I drained the oil, pressure tested the gearcase to 10psi. It held for an hour. I turned the prop both ways, it still held. I shifted in to gear and the pressure immediately dropped.

Any idea where I can urgently get a shifter seal for a Mercury 90hp 3cyl 2 stroke from 2001? I'm off to Loch Lomond for a week on saturday, so I need to turn it around sharpish!

tnx

Nick
Seadoo Spark (for now)
ʞǝǝbǝɥʇʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ɹǝʇʇıʍʇ
ɹǝzʇןǝɯsʞıu/ɯoɔ˙ʞooqǝɔɐɟ
NikTheGeek

by Ianfs » 19 Aug 2017, 09:14

Edit...Oh bugger, i just wrote all this as you were sending your reply.... :lol: :lol: is that Sat today or next week?

I agree, my first thought would be a big NO.

How much emulsified oil is there, if its only a little as you say it may just be condensation.

Did you drain the oil or just let some out?
The reason I ask is that if all the oil is creamy then I would guess you have a blown seal as you suspect.

My vote would still be no to the additive. This stuff probably works by finding its way to the leak, like bars leaks in a radiator. In a car or lorry that would be to the air. In a boat gearbox the seals stop water getting in therefore i cant see how it would work.
I would also say that it wouldn't have any protection if it did emulsify. I tested some Quicksilver High Performance gear oil against ordinary car oil gearbox oil sae 90 I think by pouring water into it and the marine stuff didn't cream as much as the ordinary stuff. It also seemed to contain it better.
Sorry Nick but my vote would be to check all the seals. :)
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

Return to Motor Boat Forum

User Menu