• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:55
  • In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Motor Boat Forum

Used S23/25 reviewed in August Motorboat Owner

by MartynG » 06 Aug 2017, 10:05

I owned a S23 for six years .
Used it mostly for inland waterways but when we did go fast on the Humber it went very well and felt very stable on the plane.
It did tip one time but that was my fault as I didn't check the trim tabs before powering up - they were set one up and one down.
So sensitive to trim tabs yes but tippy no.
Having said that I would say it's a two person boat.
The S23 still looks good /modern despite being now a 15 year old design.

We moved up to a F33 for extra entertaining space , a comfortable bedroom and storage, heating and an oven - we spend most weekend aboard and take all of our holidays on the boat.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by Bigplumbs » 07 Aug 2017, 07:47

I am sure I will get shot at for this but I actually think I like the Bayliner 245 better now. The cockpit layout seems far better thought out.

I am sure some will talk about it being a lake boat and the sea keeping not so good but not sure if this is true or not

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by BruceK » 07 Aug 2017, 08:12

MartynG wrote:I owned a S23 for six years .
Used it mostly for inland waterways but when we did go fast on the Humber it went very well and felt very stable on the plane.
It did tip one time but that was my fault as I didn't check the trim tabs before powering up - they were set one up and one down.
So sensitive to trim tabs yes but tippy no.
Having said that I would say it's a two person boat.
The S23 still looks good /modern despite being now a 15 year old design.

We moved up to a F33 for extra entertaining space , a comfortable bedroom and storage, heating and an oven - we spend most weekend aboard and take all of our holidays on the boat.

You may just have got used to it :D but it is a well recorded phenomenon. My first introduction was stepping off the pontoon onto the stern port quarter and nearly nose diving into the marina

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... S25-or-S23
BruceK

by BruceK » 07 Aug 2017, 08:28

Bigplumbs wrote:I am sure I will get shot at for this but I actually think I like the Bayliner 245 better now. The cockpit layout seems far better thought out.

I am sure some will talk about it being a lake boat and the sea keeping not so good but not sure if this is true or not

Dennis

They are classed as a protected water boat. They are popular and sell well. Use it within it's design parameters and you should be fine. Take it into a short chop and slam it about a lot and it may loosen up some. It is what it is and if you understand that it's fine.

http://www.boattest.com/oem/418/boats/2193/0/off
BruceK

by MartynG » 09 Aug 2017, 07:08

BruceK wrote:
MartynG wrote:
My first introduction was stepping off the pontoon onto the stern port quarter and nearly nose diving into the marina

Surely all boats move when you step on them. The smaller the boat the more they move. If it doesnt move its probably aground - or maybe its a ship.
I guess we did get used to stepping gently onto the S23 - very gently.

Going on the plane it could be leaned over into a turn and it always came up straight when asked . I don't have another similar sized boat experience to compare it with.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by MartynG » 09 Aug 2017, 07:12

Bigplumbs wrote:I am sure I will get shot at for this but I actually think I like the Bayliner 245 better now. The cockpit layout seems far better thought out.

It would be no good if we all felt the same.
The cockpit is bigger because there are no side decks . If you dont need crew to go up on the bow to come into a mooring it may be the better choice for you.
But for me the Sealine wins.
User avatar
MartynG

Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 17:41
Location: The Planet Earth

by BruceK » 09 Aug 2017, 08:34

:D yes all boats move. But for me the acid test is does your freshly poured pint of bitter sitting on the table spill or not. If it spills it's no bloody good :?
BruceK

by Bigplumbs » 09 Aug 2017, 15:44

BruceK wrote::D yes all boats move. But for me the acid test is does your freshly poured pint of bitter sitting on the table spill or not. If it spills it's no bloody good :?

I drink Cider out of a can so no prob there :)
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by Bigplumbs » 09 Aug 2017, 15:52

Now her indoors has been watching a place in the sun and she has got me thinking about buying a property in Spain, Taking one of my Fletchers there and staying for a month or 2 to get away from the awful weather we seem to get in the UK. You can get a nice little place with a drive for a speed boat for about £70,000.

Makes me think

Dennis
Bigplumbs

Joined: 09 Dec 2014, 22:35

by BruceK » 09 Aug 2017, 16:31

Bigplumbs wrote:
BruceK wrote::D yes all boats move. But for me the acid test is does your freshly poured pint of bitter sitting on the table spill or not. If it spills it's no bloody good :?

I drink Cider out of a can so no prob there :)

Steady on old boy! No excuse for that kind of behavior :shock:
BruceK

PreviousNext