• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:03
  • In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Motor Boat Forum

boat identification

by chogg1 » 27 Jun 2017, 12:53

ColinR wrote:Looks a bit like a Sea Ray

Image

Can you give us any more inf, length etc. Also a pic of the helm area might help. Are there any logos on the wheel or elsewhere? Also sometimes on the fuse and switch panel there may be a makers plate.

sorry the name on the side is DE - FIB
chogg1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 09:23

by Ianfs » 27 Jun 2017, 12:59

Now Bruce has suggested it, It does look remarkably like a Falcon. The swept back arch does suggest its not a 27 and with it's the transom and a few other features it doesn't look like a 23 either. They did make other types with continental names like Velici, but they seem newer.

The company doesn't exist any more but one of the designers is very big naval architect, so I mailed him your photos. :)

De-Fib, as in "Defibrillator" that's a great name for a boat. :lol:

It's unlikely that Volvo will know which boat one of their engines went into but it's useful in terms of identifying the boat because boat builders tended to stick with either one or two types. For example a Fairline Targa 29 built in 97 would normally have Volvo AD31 engines but a 98 would have KAD32's. Similarly a Sealine 23 would have a single KAD32 up until a couple of years after it became a Sealine 25 then they put Volvo D3's in them.

by chogg1 » 27 Jun 2017, 13:21

Ianfs wrote:Now Bruce has suggested it, It does look remarkably like a Falcon. The swept back arch does suggest its not a 27 and with it's the transom and a few other features it doesn't look like a 23 either. They did make other types with continental names like Velici, but they seem newer.

The company doesn't exist any more but one of the designers is very big naval architect, so I mailed him your photos. :)

De-Fib, as in "Defibrillator" that's a great name for a boat. :lol:

It's unlikely that Volvo will know which boat one of their engines went into but it's useful in terms of identifying the boat because boat builders tended to stick with either one or two types. For example a Fairline Targa 29 built in 97 would normally have Volvo AD31 engines but a 98 would have KAD32's. Similarly a Sealine 23 would have a single KAD32 up until a couple of years after it became a Sealine 25 then they put Volvo D3's in them.
Attachments
IMG_1766.PNG
are these vents put on any boat as i have seen these on a sunseeker
IMG_1766.PNG (265.73 KiB) Viewed 11792 times
chogg1
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 09:23

by BruceK » 27 Jun 2017, 16:13

Although it has a passing resemblance to the Sunseeker (Poole Boats at the time) Offshore 25 or 28 it does not have the 3rd porthole and the Offshores AFAIK do not have a radar arch. I still think it's a Falcon that has been re-engined personally. Also the interior does not match an Offshore's
BruceK

by mlines » 27 Jun 2017, 16:48

I see the Falcon 27 / Sheerline 850 / Fairline Carrera / Bounty 27 (Sports) were all on the same hull so it could be something from this mould.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by lewlew100 » 27 Jun 2017, 23:21

I have never heard that the boats mentioned in the previous post are from the same hull mould and would be interested to know where this info came from. There are certainly some similarities so may have all been BO designs, but I do not think they are the same.I do not know the identity of this boat, but it is definitely NOT a Fairline Carrera. Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by Ianfs » 28 Jun 2017, 10:01

but it is definitely NOT a Fairline Carrera. Geoff.

And you know this because you have cornered that market for Carerra's and bought the lot. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think now that Bruce has narrowed it down and Martin has said that there are other boats using the same moulds.......

CLICK HERE

........then it is possible as I said originally that it might be a one off, alternatively after so many builders went bust, someone bought the moulds and built it using a different name. Note the transom shape against the other boats, as Bruce suggested, it may have been re-engine and the transom altered.

by lewlew100 » 28 Jun 2017, 12:29

Yes Ian - I should know if its a Carrera - but enough said about that - I get sufficient comments from SWMBO, without further reminders!!!http://www.boatbanter.co.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=1044#http://www.boatbanter.co.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=1044#http://www.boatbanter.co.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=1044#

I did click on the link that you sent and those boats are all listed in the same class, but I do not believe based on the same hull. The Falcon and the Sheerline may well be from the same mould as they were both Andrew Woolstenhome designs. The Bounty is a modernized version of the Elysian, but as it was built close by the other two, the hull may possibly from that same mould. The Fairline Carrera was a Bernard Olesinski design. I understand that BO also designed Princess boats of about the same era and that in fact he still designs for Princess today. None of this information is because I am a boat design guru, but is the result of about 30 minutes googling!!! Geoff.

I have just tried to put on a couple of smilies, but am not sure of the result. G.
Last edited by lewlew100 on 28 Jun 2017, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by lewlew100 » 28 Jun 2017, 12:33

Just checked and see that I failed miserably with the smilies, but I am not going to try a glum!!! Geoff.
lewlew100

Joined: 29 Dec 2016, 13:02

by betty boop » 29 Jun 2017, 09:17

lewlew100 wrote:Just checked and see that I failed miserably with the smilies, but I am not going to try a glum!!! Geoff.

dont worry you always make us smile Geoff :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

PreviousNext