• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 00:28
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Electrics, Electronics & Hardware

VHF help please

by Gazjen » 12 Apr 2016, 01:24

Ok getting a bit frustrated. I've got a handheld VHF, a fixed unit in the Regal and my Fusion radio picks up VHF transmissions. I don't seem to be able to hear anything on any of them. If I transmit on the fixed or the handheld neither one picks the other up nor does the fusion radio. I doubt the hand held is faulty as it's hardly used can anyone think of something I'm doing wrong or has an idea where to start fault finding? The aerial is fairly new on the fixed unit, connections could be better but I'll address that when I get something receiving/transmitting.

I don't expect to pick up any external VHF chatter as I live 80 miles inland.
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by mlines » 12 Apr 2016, 06:25

Well as all three appear to not work that is certainly a mystery.

One thing that springs to mind is that you are too close when you transmit. If one radio is next to another it will completely overload the receiver, completely shutting it down. My handheld (Cobra) defeats the boats radio (Standard Horizon) when operated within the boat,

Are you trying on Channel 16 ? If you are trying on a completely different channel be aware that not all channels are simplex (user to user) transmit or may be a different programming for UK/USA/International. 16 is a simplex channel. At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, simplex basically means the Transmit and Receive are on the same radio frequency so that each station can hear the other. Others are channels 8, 72, 77. MOST OTHER channels are duplex and are designed for Ship to Shore operation with different transmit and receive channels so any SHIP configured radios will not talk to other SHIP radios.

I would try on 8, 15,16,72 or 77 first and move the radios apart. Do not worry too much about the aerial connections being 100% as you should hear something at this range.

Its is also worth calling on 16 on a busy weekend even inland as you will be surprised at how many boats do have VHF even inland, I have had a few successful radio checks on the Thames here in Reading,

I also have a good, known working handheld I could post to you for a quick test.

Martin
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by betty boop » 12 Apr 2016, 07:41

you are pressing the PTT button when shouting into either radio aren't you ? ;) :lol: :roll: mystery to me, I have 2 hand helds and they both pick up each other in the same room with a tad of feed back. how about the squelch adjust too much will block out everything. The only other thing I can guess at would be a faulty unit, either, we had a faulty PTT switch on the life boat that knocked out the whole unit. simple soldering in a new switch fixed it - just a thought.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 12 Apr 2016, 09:10

One thing that springs to mind is that you are too close when you transmit. If one radio is next to another it will completely overload the receiver, completely shutting it down. My handheld (Cobra) defeats the boats radio (Standard Horizon) when operated within the boat,

This is very true but also, at work, we have to have a VHF radio with us at all times, very often if 2 or 3 radios are close together only one radio will pick up an open channel transmission even though the broadcast might be 200m away. If the transmission is made via the trunking system which our units use i.e. the radio number is called then they're fine, but Marine VHF is open channel only.

I'm guessing you've tried each one individually i.e. the handheld to the fixed with the radio off and standing 20 or 30ft apart?

by Gazjen » 12 Apr 2016, 17:09

Cheers guys. Martin you win a beer. It appears in my wisdom to stay away from ch 16 I've only tried the higher channels on 8 and 16 it works fine. I still don't understand why it doesn't communicate on the higher channels so I'm off to do some reading. You can tell I'm an inlander can't you :)
Cheers. More stupid questions to come.
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by mlines » 12 Apr 2016, 17:18

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/vhf.html

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 12 Apr 2016, 19:35

Ummm, Gaz, you do have a licence, don't you? :roll: :mrgreen:

by Gazjen » 12 Apr 2016, 20:32

Errmmmmm. :? Does my mums note count?
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by betty boop » 13 Apr 2016, 07:26

Ianfs wrote:Ummm, Gaz, you do have a licence, don't you? :roll: :mrgreen:

not sure thats counts, I have a the licence, used VHF commercially, read the article above and I only just understand the 'repeater 80miles away bit'. radio magic :oops: ;)
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 13 Apr 2016, 10:12

Errmmmmm. :? Does my mums note count?

There you are then, all sorted! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and meant to say, well done to Martin for sorting it out for you. :)

Next

Return to Electrics, Electronics & Hardware