Electrics, Electronics & Hardware

VHF help please

by Gazjen » 13 Apr 2016, 14:20

I will sort the licence out, I've even managed to embarrass myself further by finding a book on the very subject at home. (Must have been a present a while ago) I shall take myself off and have a word.
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by betty boop » 14 Apr 2016, 07:58

Gazjen wrote:I will sort the licence out, I've even managed to embarrass myself further by finding a book on the very subject at home. (Must have been a present a while ago) I shall take myself off and have a word.

Owning a licence is not a requirement IMHO, it is an unenforceable ruling and is more a RYA training method certificate than a licence. £130 wasted if you've taken one and have the book, they give you another book as a 'freebie' :roll: Coastguard advice is that if you have an unlicensed radio they would rather it be used and break the rule in an emergency than to have no radio at all. Yes I agree there are idiots out there that would call home on Ch16 as we've all heard but you're a sensible chap and would know how to call /radio check/mayday. The MAYDAY protocol is the only real important part of the training but it will soon be forgotten when your a'se is getting hot and you're about to jump over board and start swimming. :lol:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 14 Apr 2016, 17:20

How do you get an mmsi number for dsc without doing the training?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by mlines » 14 Apr 2016, 17:48

The MMSI is allocated to the boat radio licence not the users operator licence.

You register the ships radio with Ofcom using the online website for free and get given a ships radio licence and MMSI number. This licences the radio into the boat.

Separately you should pass a course and get an operators licence.

If you think of a larger boat it would have a radio installation plus various users on the bridge, hence the separation of the ships licence for the radio and the users licence to use it.

Martin
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by _Ed_ » 15 Apr 2016, 00:36

I never got confirmation from applying for my MMSI, although I did get a number. Quite annoying!
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by mlines » 15 Apr 2016, 05:55

Have you tried looking up your mmsi to see if it was registered.

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/ship_search.sh

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ChrisH » 15 Apr 2016, 17:47

mlines wrote:The MMSI is allocated to the boat radio licence not the users operator licence.

You register the ships radio with Ofcom using the online website for free and get given a ships radio licence and MMSI number. This licences the radio into the boat.

Separately you should pass a course and get an operators licence.

If you think of a larger boat it would have a radio installation plus various users on the bridge, hence the separation of the ships licence for the radio and the users licence to use it.

Martin

Thanks Martin. My brother is installing my new radio this weekend.

Keep us posted in Henley. Still interested especially if VW will let us launch and recover. Plus perhaps moor overnight so I can get a taxi home :-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

Previous

Return to Electrics, Electronics & Hardware