• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 02:06

Electrics, Electronics & Hardware

Cabling in a second battery

by betty boop » 08 Sep 2015, 08:56

ColinR wrote:Well I've communicated with one who should know, Tompamarine. The thinner wires are bilge pump and radio for the memory. We have a cunning plan :D

you beat me too it, :mrgreen: Ive got the same wires but just for radio memory, it is (was) a BIG pain as despite its minimal draw it does drain the battery (a number of times :evil: ) , moved /rewired to the switched side will save ur next battery if you don't care about the radio presets.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Ianfs » 09 Sep 2015, 07:09

Well I've communicated with one who should know, Tompamarine. The thinner wires are bilge pump and radio for the memory. We have a cunning plan :D

Well well well, there you have it. Keep us informed of "The cunning plan" :mrgreen:

by ColinR » 09 Sep 2015, 07:14

It's not that cunning really, pretty much what Gaz suggested. I might put in a relay based charging circuit next year and maybe a proper "in boat" charger that I can link to a shore power socket.
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by Ianfs » 09 Sep 2015, 21:13

This is the sort of thing I was trying to describe you ought to get, if you watch the vid it will explain it better.

Not that expensive either...............

Blue Sea System Add a Battery

by ColinR » 10 Sep 2015, 07:25

That add a battery system is good as it does the clever split charging thing without having to remember to switch across.

I already have a 1-2-both-none switch fitted so all I need is the cables, and a second battery of course. :D
User avatar
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Location: Hampshire, England

by sprocker » 10 Sep 2015, 08:48

I added a second battery to my last boat using the Blue Sea Systems switch that Ian shows above. Simple as simple can be, all completed in a day and that included fabricating a stainless battery tray for the new battery as I couldn't find an 'off the shelf' one to fit.
User avatar
sprocker

Location: Plymouth, Devon

by mlines » 10 Sep 2015, 08:56

That's very similar to what is fitted to ours although it does not have the separate 1 and 2 positions if I recall correctly. It is voltage sensing for charge purposes and has OFF - ON - DUAL positions, I think
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Centaur » 10 Sep 2015, 13:28

That Blue Sea Systems 'Add-A-Battery' kit is just what you have in your boat Martin!

It's a great value voltage-sensing split charging system that will ensure that your engine-start battery is always fully charged and cannot be run down by the house circuit. No manual switching is required, so the battery switch is simply 'on/off' (but with an emergency 'combine' position, just in case the engine start battery ever failed). For its modest cost, I would thoroughly recommend it over a traditional '1/2/Both/Off' switch.
User avatar
Centaur
Able Rate
Able Rate

Previous

Return to Electrics, Electronics & Hardware