• Boat Banter

It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:06

Electrics, Electronics & Hardware

Charger not reaching 100%

by argonaut » 10 May 2015, 17:52

OK .. interesting Electrical issue.
Put my boat on charge last week, usual method of plugging a cigarette ‘plug’ into the DC accessory outlet, I then have a SMART charger, I leave it hooked up to.
Noticed yesterday charger still not showing 100% charged …. Hmmm.

Checked battery voltage – seemed fine, checked trickle current when charging seemed reasonable…. OK maybe charger faulty …. Tried it on another 12V battery, showing 100% charged and into trickle mode after a few minutes .

Puzzling :? … started making comparison current readings .. and thought I would need to remove battery and do some bench testing …

Then I found the issue …the Nav light was on, but being under the covers did not see it … my mate had put the plug into accessory socket, and the Nav light button is alongside it … he must have pressed rocker to on without realising it.
The small current drawn by the Nav light was enough to stop it reaching 100% charge … switched light off, and charger went to 100% straight-away.

Just shows how you can be looking for complex reasons .. and not always necessary. :oops:

Ah well . too windy today and at least this allowed me to mess about with boat for an Hr. :)
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

by Ianfs » 10 May 2015, 19:15

At least you were tenacious enough to get to the bottom of it. :)
Which charger do you use?

by argonaut » 10 May 2015, 20:01

I use a CTEK MS

Multi stage with float & maintenance modes.
I just plug it into 12 V socket and easy way to ensure battery is fully topped up before use.

Over winter I also take battery off boat and leave permanently connected to this charger.

A multi - stage Smart charger is a good piece of kit.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
User avatar
argonaut

Return to Electrics, Electronics & Hardware