• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 May 2024, 23:46

Electrics, Electronics & Hardware

Shore power clicking sound - what is it?

by Smoothgred » 23 May 2017, 09:37

Hi all,

We have bought our first boat a Doral Monticello motor cruiser 25', had it surveyed, trialled etc and have spent our first night on board and we're loving it!!

She is at a marina in Plymouth and is connected to the shore power supply.

Throughout the night there was a regular click sound every 12 seconds which was followed by a different sound click a few seconds later whilst the shore power was connected.

To try and identify the source I had turned off the battery charger, same clicking continued, also turned off the mains switch on the panel in the cabin, still clicked.

It sounds like a circuit breaker is opening then resetting.

I have removed the shore power until I know if it is a fault or not.

Before I call an electrician do any of you have an idea of what this could be?

Any help appreciated.
Regards
Smoothgred
Smoothgred
Able Rate
Able Rate

by mlines » 23 May 2017, 15:12

Sounds a bit like a voltage switching relay (VSR) which is faulty or not sensing correctly. Could be in anything from the charging input circuits to the battery charger to the fridge (trying to switch between mains and battery)

Martin
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 24 May 2017, 07:51

Congrats on your boat purchase, what a great choice.

+1 for Martin's suggestion. Just a further idea though, is the clicking definitely inside the boat? Could it be a noisy shore power meter?

Also, could it be something to do with the rear cockpit seat switch. We looked at one which was sticking and it had a strange clicking when the seat was returned to its normal position.

by Smoothgred » 26 May 2017, 09:31

Thanks guys,
It obviously isn't right so I'll get an electrical engineer to check it out.
Thanks for your help.
Smoothgred
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 26 May 2017, 18:54

Let us know what he finds. :)

Return to Electrics, Electronics & Hardware

User Menu