It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 05:00

Propellers

Prop anti-fouling

by shibbs » 13 Jul 2016, 21:27

A question to all those who keep their boats in the water..

I did the leg with Trilux spray paint this year, admittedly, the boat has hardly moved so far which obviously wont help, but it is awful, the leg has about a foot of weed trailing! :x What do you use on your outdrives?
I'll need to get in and scrub it before going out next if i dont want to drain the fuel tank in 5 minutes!

Anyway,, back to the main point of the post.. What do you use on SS props?
I tried prop shield last year and it was useless! I haven't been able to bring myself to paint them yet, is this the only way ahead, if so, with what and with what preparation?

At present, i just remove it every now and again and give it a scrub up and polish but can be a bit of a pain, and it's only a matter of time before i drop it... :o

Any advice or wisdom welcome!

by shibbs » 07 Apr 2018, 21:36

Thought I’d throw this one out there again..
I now use Trilux paint on for the leg as opposed to the spray and it makes a remarkable difference, no idea why? Maybe a thicker more effective mixture of paint..?

Anyway, reference the prop,

Has anyone got a system that works for immersed props? I’ve still not managed to master it and it gets comsiderably fouled, to the point of needing to be needing to be removed to be cleaned if sat for a while.

I found a product in the shop today called ‘SeaJet Pellerclean’, it’s designed for props. However it is £55 per go so thought I’d see if anyone has heard of it or even used it?
I’ll do some research anyway but thought I’d ask.

Any ideas?

by mlines » 08 Apr 2018, 10:33

Just keep it in a high state of polish and always go at a speed where the sea life cannot hang on to the slippery surface :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 08 Apr 2018, 14:27

+1 for the above.

I've tried many times to get paint to stick to Stainless Steel and couldn't but I understand its all down to the prep and what primer is used.
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by shibbs » 08 Apr 2018, 21:00

I think half the problem is that i cant bring myself to paint a SS prop. :? They look too nice shiny! :lol:

Return to Propellers