• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:29
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Propellers

Cleaning the props..

by ColinR » 01 Dec 2014, 09:13

Use it, preferably at high speed :lol: :lol:
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

by mlines » 01 Dec 2014, 09:26

When I used autosol I found it went grey after the first use. I assumed this was polish left on the surface reacting with the salt water. When I cleaned them again I washed them down after polishing to make sure all traces of polish had gone.

I have also read, but not tried, that olive oil should be wiped over stainless steel to finish it. However this, in my mind, goes against the principles of stainless steel. As far as I am aware Stainless only remains stainless in the presence of sufficient oxygen which enables it to form the oxide layer on its surface. If you limit oxygen then it actually can rust, so I would have thought that coating in oil could promote corrosion.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by argonaut » 01 Dec 2014, 21:30

Never heard that stainless needs to form oxide.
In any event ... never had a problem with Autosol ..
Shine lasts for months.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
argonaut
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by mlines » 01 Dec 2014, 22:09

Stainless steel works because the chromium in it forms a layer of chromium oxide on the surface that creates a barrier that stop the steel element rusting.

During manufacture it is passivated (dipped in acid) to promote this.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
mlines
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by betty boop » 03 Dec 2014, 08:44

mlines wrote:When I used autosol I found it went grey after the first use. I assumed this was polish left on the surface reacting with the salt water. When I cleaned them again I washed them down after polishing to make sure all traces of polish had gone.

I have also read, but not tried, that olive oil should be wiped over stainless steel to finish it. However this, in my mind, goes against the principles of stainless steel. As far as I am aware Stainless only remains stainless in the presence of sufficient oxygen which enables it to form the oxide layer on its surface. If you limit oxygen then it actually can rust, so I would have thought that coating in oil could promote corrosion.

Olive oil I havent heard but WD40 is a recognised brushed stainless steel cleaner, not so sure about polished though, I found once yo use it you have too keep on using it but thats on the fridge/freezer slightly different.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Cap'n Jack » 03 Dec 2014, 10:51

Interesting comments about Olive Oil. We have a Stainless Steel Maytag Fridge Freezer and when we bought it the dealer told us to use Baby Oil to keep it shiney as the acid from our skin/hands makes marks on it. All I can say is that we also have various Stainless Steel appliances and it works every time. Never used it on the prop though, its not waterproof!! :mrgreen:
Cap'n Jack
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

by argonaut » 03 Dec 2014, 13:11

I recall the DeLorean had this issue ... probably why no car manufacturer uses SS finish.
FourWinns H210, Volvo 280-C-N duoprop, Monster MTK tower, SBS 2600 twin axle trailer
Tow Vehicle - Landrover Discovery Sport
argonaut
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by betty boop » 03 Dec 2014, 13:20

Cap'n Jack wrote:Interesting comments about Olive Oil. We have a Stainless Steel Maytag Fridge Freezer and when we bought it the dealer told us to use Baby Oil to keep it shiney as the acid from our skin/hands makes marks on it. All I can say is that we also have various Stainless Steel appliances and it works every time. Never used it on the prop though, its not waterproof!! :mrgreen:

baby oil - yes, olive oil yuk, can imagine all sorts of bacteria growth n mould being a veg oil. + a large supply of baby oil has othe uses :shock:
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

Previous

Return to Propellers

User Menu