  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Propellers

Cleaning the prop

by mlines » 26 Jul 2015, 15:22

A few weeks ago we had to leave the boat overnight for two nights in salt water. Unfortunately we did not have the time to swap the anodes over so we had fresh water anodes (magnesium) in salt water (should be zinc). We thought we we would be alright for the 48 hours but no, an electroplating action took place that coated the stainless props in a hard layer (I guess of magnesium of some sort). This would not clean off easily, even chipping away at it was difficult and slow. Therefore it was time to get aggressive. I had heard much about "Patio and Brick Cleaner" which is based on Hydrochloric Acid. A quick trip to Wickes resulted in a cheap container of cleaner.

I simply put the cleaner in a bowl and dipped in the props and Hey Presto! a great result.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by Ianfs » 26 Jul 2015, 16:11

Good thought process. Great result. :)

by Ianfs » 26 Jul 2015, 17:40

Did you polish it or is that the final result?

by mlines » 26 Jul 2015, 18:28

it was previously polished at the beginning of the year, today was literally popping it into the Brick Cleaner solution.
Regal 2250 - "Witch Way" - MMSI:235073628
My Regal 2250
User avatar
mlines

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire

by ian h » 26 Jul 2015, 20:24

Have heard others swaer by that sort of product but never seen before and after results,

Remember you sent your props off to be polished they still look in great condition
ian h

by Centaur » 27 Jul 2015, 08:08

A great tip - I wish I'd known about that before...
User avatar
Centaur
Able Rate
Able Rate

by shibbs » 29 Aug 2015, 14:30

Just used the cleaner as you described, 2 props looking like new again in a matter of minutes! Thanks for sharing. :D

Return to Propellers