  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Boat How Too's

Rochester Quadrajet re-build

by shibbs » 18 Jun 2015, 20:16

Fingers crossed this will solve the problem. You may have read the build up to this,, loss of power when under load. Felt a little like a mis-fire but i think... i have eliminated the electrical side of things, but we shall see.
I started off by doing the normal research on the net, watching You Tube videos etc. Once the re-furb kit was ordered (Only £25 ish) i set about removing the carb from the engine. Lots of pictures taken throughout (Just so i had reference later if required :oops: ).
Image
Image
Once i had it at home i set about stripping it down, as always, taking something apart is normally fairly easy but having played with carbs before (and all the tiny parts) i have learnt that putting back together can be somewhat more tricky, so again, lots of pictures, step by step.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Once in pieces, it all went off to work with me for a good clean in the ultrasonic bath, hoping this would flush out all the little bits of dirt and crud from all the small, hard to see/access areas etc..
On completion, it then got a good flush out using carb cleaner and an air jet, at this point i was happy that it was now as clean as i could get it, time now to layout on a clean workbench ready for re-assembly.
Image
Image
I used a video on You Tube for this and i have to say, it made the job much easier than i expected.

That's where i'm at now, fully assembled and ready to go back on, back over to the other thread for the results.. If no improvement again i may start a new thread as it will clearly be nothing to do with prop choice.. :?

by Ianfs » 19 Jun 2015, 13:53

Nice write up Stu. The very best of luck with hoping that might have sorted it out.

The bowl does look a tad crusty and did you manage to check the float height?

Did you also manage to get a new coil, I thought I read somewhere that you've done it already but may be wrong?

by shibbs » 19 Jun 2015, 14:38

Float height was spot on, coil changed.
We shall see.. :roll:

by Cap'n Jack » 21 Jun 2015, 16:51

Any joy Stu? :)
Cap'n Jack
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

by shibbs » 21 Jun 2015, 17:45

No not yet, been on call all weekend so not had a chance.. :x
Tomorrow hopefully..

by Ianfs » 22 Jun 2015, 07:14

Fingers and toes crossed. :)

by shibbs » 22 Jun 2015, 21:23

Thanks Ian :D
Re-fitted today and flashed her up, well tried... I was getting fuel pumping out of the top of the carb, but the engine not starting.
After a bit of investigation and a bit of strip down again, it seems i hooked on the float valve the wrong way which meant that the float didn't rise stopping the fuel from pumping into the carb.
Image
Once re-clipped the correct way( i hooked it through both holes!), it started and ran well.
Due to the wind and being on my own i decided against taking it out for a run so that will come next, but, it did seem.. to run well, i was able to slow the idle right back down to approx 750 rpm where it should be and it sat running nicely (Which it wouldn't before) so it's certainly looking up.. :mrgreen:
All still crossed for the sea trial though.

by Ianfs » 22 Jun 2015, 21:47

Sounds like you'll be doing some Drag starts soon. :mrgreen:

Return to Boat How Too's