  • In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Head gasket torque

by shibbs » 20 Apr 2017, 17:23

Has anyone ever replaced a head gasket on a V6 / V8?
My question is, normally on replacing a head gasket, it needs to be re-torque'd after a certain amount of running time.
With a V6/8 boat engine where the head bolts are under the inlet manifold and behind the exhaust manifolds, I.e un-reachable, does it still need to be re-torqued?
Do you have to remove all the inlet / exhaust manifolds carbs etc etc to do this or not?
Thanks in advance...

by Ianfs » 21 Apr 2017, 07:35

As far as I know Stu the bolts are sprung, I think that's the term and therefore once torqued don't require any re torque. It's one reason you can't reuse them.

As you say, you would have to strip all the manifolds and gaskets and reseal the inlet after a set amount of hours which might only be a few weeks, a real bummer of an exercise. :)

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair