  • In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Mercruiser 5.7 timing

by shibbs » 10 Mar 2016, 01:12

Where I've had my head off for repairs, I'm now almost back at the stage with the rebuild to start thinking about getting the timing re-done etc.
I have noticed though that although I have a mark on the block for what I imagine is 0 degrees, I have no timings on the flywheel. There is one mark through it but nothing else..
Anyone know if this can be rectified, I'm sure I saw somewhere that you can get a tape that sticks on with the timings on, anyone heard of or seen this?
On Friday when I'm down there next I will take some pictures to show what I mean.
Bit stuck at the moment though..?
Any ideas gratefully received. :?:

by Ianfs » 10 Mar 2016, 02:48

Mercruiser timing marks seem to either have a zig zag tab attached to the engine or a single tab, the fly wheels tend to have just a single line across them.

I suppose its logical to just have a single mark to correct the timing when its measured at idle and is 10 degrees BTDC.

by Gazjen » 10 Mar 2016, 03:01

Just as Ian says, the mark on the Flywheel is the correct setting not 0 as you'd think, if memory serves you also need to short out a couple of wires whilst setting with the timing light. Unless you've had the cam out its only ignition timing you're setting anyway. Don't forget to make sure the block is on its compression stroke when you fit the dizzy to the mark too or else it might make you jump when you try to start it. :)
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by shibbs » 10 Mar 2016, 10:01

Thanks guys, yes mine has the single tab on the engine and just the single line on the flywheel.
So if I understand correctly, if I line those two up, the timing will be correct at 10deg BTDC ..?
Idle being approx 650 rpm?
Not had cam out so hopefully, should...should, be a simple job.
Got rocker gaps to do then make sure it's in correct position to re-fit dizzy.
We shall see, think You Tube may be a helping hand on this one..

by Ianfs » 10 Mar 2016, 19:25

I think I should get your maintenance tool package made up to now include a timing light! :)

That is if you still need the tools?

by shibbs » 10 Mar 2016, 21:03

Ha, thanks Ian, I do actually have a timing light luckily.. Did a fair bit of messing with timing on my first mini for various reasons and the last boat.
As for the other leg jobs, impeller is in process and I have inspected the gimbal and bellows and really see no point in changing as they are in 'as new' condition.
Will double check again prior to re-fitting the leg but all seems good.

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair