  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Mercruiser 3.0L Alternator belt replacement.

by _Ed_ » 02 Jul 2015, 22:53

" In theory, I can imagine it working... but I am an engineer and understand that 'in theory' and 'in practice' are in no way related!"

Depends how well you can imagine the theory!! Your idea sounds viable, but I'd probably use a ratchet strap on some 4x4. Less chance of anything slipping.

That pulley should come off ok if you leaver it from side to side9 under side if possible0. Cutting off the old belt may make life easier with this. Sorry can't help too much as I've not done one, it would need to be in front of me to be more detailed.
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by betty boop » 06 Jul 2015, 10:04

scaffold pole or fence post? and a decent sized racket strap- I have an HGV style one I would use as an example. won't lift the engine but would/should support it in the right place.

unfortunately I bought mine a few years ago to change but never did and it sits cable tied in the bilge - waiting and it looks like it won't be a job to do at sea any way :x but thanks for the info in advance.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by Gazjen » 08 Jul 2015, 22:35

The pulley will come off easily take out the bolts and tap. It should be fine.
Gazjen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Joined: 19 Jun 2015, 02:13

by annageek » 09 Jul 2015, 12:44

Gazjen wrote:The pulley will come off easily take out the bolts and tap. It should be fine.

When I tried doing that in the winter it just wouldnt move, and I was hitting it, wiggling it and levering it but no movement. Then again I didnt 'know' if it should come off like that back then, so maybe I held back.

Im going down to the boat tomorrow with various weapons including a proper pulley puller. I just hope it comes off before I wreck the pulley itself or the pump its on!!
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by annageek » 12 Jul 2015, 11:00

Just in case anyone should stumble upon this thread at some point in the future - I did it! Belts replaced.

The pulley was well and truly stuck on the block circulation pump! Dead easy with one of these type pullers, however: Image

Even with the pulley off, it wasn't the most straightforward of jobs, as there was another pinch point between the part of the engine mount and the pulley on the end of the crankshaft - but with a lot of wiggling and contorting of the belt it was through!

Despite there being about 100mm of tensioning adjustmenet on the power steering pump, only 20mm of it is usable because oe of the rigid cooling hoses is in the way! Good ol' mercruiser! Needless to say, I needed about 25mm of eadjustement to get the new PS belt on, but with a tiny bit of squishing of the hose the belt was on and the spring tension in the hose imparted the perfect amount of tensioning pressure on the pump assembly while I tightened it. This is either ingenious design or ridiculous design... I think I know which one it's more likely to be :)

A tiny bit of adjustment on the gear shift cable seems to have completely solved the gear shifting problem too! :)

All working perfectly though, and propelled us through the crazy seas/winds in the solent yesterday afternoon.
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by annageek » 12 Jul 2015, 11:07

I forgot to say (again... purely for the benefit of anybody who stumbles upon this in the future... such as me when I'm repeating the job next year!) the engine mount spacer block that has to be removed probably doesn't need the engine supported at all. The strap that I used to suspend the engine seemed to be under zero tension, and as I am incurably curious, I slackened it off a bit with the block removed, and the engine was still in perfect alignment, and the bolts just spun straight back in.

I think it is just there to prevent the torsional vibration of the running engine from stressing / loosening the bolts on the front starboard side engine mount. Although, this was all on a maintenance rack, so I guess if the boat is sloshing around in the water due to another boat's wake coming in, some engine support would be good to help deal with any dynamic loading that may occur.
annageek
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

by Ianfs » 12 Jul 2015, 11:50

I've got one of those pullers, they are great for removing stuck trailer wheel bearings as well as all sorts of other things.

the engine mount spacer block that has to be removed probably doesn't need the engine supported at all. The strap that I used to suspend the engine seemed to be under zero tension, and as I am incurably curious, I slackened it off a bit with the block removed, and the engine was still in perfect alignment, and the bolts just spun straight back in.

I'm curious why you suspended the engine with the engine mount still in place? Was it because you were thinking that the spacer offered some sort of support? I would really like to know why it's there, it seems that Mercruiser may have had an issue with the engine moving forwards at some stage, would be interesting to find out though.

Great write up though Anna, extremely useful to anyone attempting a belt replacement, there are a few topics like this on iBoats forum but not as good as yours. :) oh and :ugeek:

Previous

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair