• Boat Banter

It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:47
  • In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Question about mercury verado 225

by saucie2006 » 12 Jun 2015, 23:40

I hear air escaping from my Mercury Verado 225. Does not affect performance of the motor. Any suggestions on what I need to check or have done?

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
saucie2006
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 22:16

by Ianfs » 13 Jun 2015, 07:31

Yes that's right, air should escape from the maxim hole in the side ventilation complex! You should be getting 20 mpg???? :ugeek:

by saucie2006 » 13 Jun 2015, 23:06

We've never heard this before! Almost sounds like steam escaping. Before this we had a problem with the fuel vent. We have an Angler Panga and the vent does not go through the hull but is inside the hull and gas kept burping back out. As long as we fuel up slowly it seems to have corrected itself but then we noticed that noise

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
saucie2006
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 22:16

by saucie2006 » 13 Jun 2015, 23:07

Should we be concerned or is this normal?

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
saucie2006
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 22:16

by saucie2006 » 13 Jun 2015, 23:07

Do not get 20 mpg!

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
saucie2006
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 22:16

by Ianfs » 14 Jun 2015, 20:21

So now its a little more complicated.

Where are you from, how old is the engine, how many hours is it showing, what is its service history, does it happen when it's running, does it happen after you have fuelled and what sort of fuel tank do you have?

If you can answer all these questions with the right answers, we might be able to ascertain that the fuel vent might have some sort of restriction. like corrosion etc.

by saucie2006 » 14 Jun 2015, 22:44

We're from South Alabama , its a 2007. Not sure about the service history or hours because we bought it used from an individual. The noise is now continuous when it runs and today on a trip we lost the engine computer. Seems to be going from bad to worse!

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
saucie2006
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 22:16

by saucie2006 » 14 Jun 2015, 22:45

Also, not sure about the fuel tank - its under the center console

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
saucie2006
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 22:16

by _Ed_ » 15 Jun 2015, 15:02

Take it to a mercury dealer. Those supercharged outboard engines need specific test kit and experience. You could also try iboats.com or screamandfly.com as people there will have experience. They are not that common here.
www.aboardmyboat.co.uk - boat projects and stuff!
_Ed_
Elite Engine tuner
Elite Engine tuner

by saucie2006 » 16 Jun 2015, 13:21

Thanks Ed- have a mechanic on the way!

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk
saucie2006
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 12 Jun 2015, 22:16

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair