• Boat Banter

It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:49
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

30hp yamaha year??

by bramble » 06 Oct 2020, 18:00

Can somebody tell me the year of my engine please.
Info on plate reads 30 DETO
6J8 L 650361
V
It seems to run on 2 cylinders on start up then onto three when under way as speed picks up then is fine unless stopped long enough to cool right down.
carbs been cleaned plugs changed suspecting reed valve, need year to be sure to get correct valves.
Any thoughts would be most welcome
bramble
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 07 Oct 2020, 08:46

Hi Bramble

Welcome to the forum.

A while ago my neighbour/good friend asked me to service his Yamaha, only a 5hp for the tender though, not a powerful 30hp. I cant access pictures at the moment as my wife is on a conference call in the study but I'll try to remember how it works.

There is a plate somewhere on the engine which you must have translated the numbers from. I think there are 3 rows. The first set of numbers are in the top row and they indicate the horse power, in this case 30 then the model DETO. Then the next row should start with 3 characters which I think in your case I think is a 6J8, this is the model type, then you have the serial number. The last row a letter is on the right which I believe is where you got the V from, this should be the model year, which I am 90% certain is 1997.

I hope this helps, but if not I'm sure if you gave the numbers to a dealer they would confirm it. If you need any further help. please let me know.

IFS :D
Ianfs
Captain
Captain

by bramble » 07 Oct 2020, 19:09

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. The nearest Yamaha dealer is some 60 miles away from me so it will be a while before I get there, but the year you gave fits in with what little I know about the history of the boat, I'll try and find a site to verify the date, but I'm sure your right.
I'll see if any members comment on the possible faulty reed valve.
Many thanks again Eric
bramble
Able Rate
Able Rate

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

User Menu