  • In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Time for a new one

by shibbs » 13 Jan 2020, 21:14

As some of you will know, I’ve had a fair number of engine issues since I’ve had my boat, coming up on 6 years now for his one.
Some minor, some major requiring heads off etc.
Well, after the over heat last year enough was enough and it was decided that it was uneconomical to strip and re build again so Saturday just gone I towed it down to Southampton where it is having a brand new engine fitted, a new 5.7 vortex with new manifolds etc etc. All bellows are being done at the sane time as a service on the drive leg.
So all in all I hold good hopes for this upcoming season, and, it should go along way when I put her up for sale a bit later this year.

Anyone else having anything major done this winter?

by ChrisH » 15 Jan 2020, 19:20

That's a hell of an expense :-(
My engine is out. Having new sump. Could not believe how much they are. And new bearing in the back of the engine. Dont know what it is.called. where the prop shaft comes out. It has completely disintegrated. Boat was still running lol.
Bit of a cleanup and paint to tidy her up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by shibbs » 15 Jan 2020, 21:20

Oh the joys of boats.
I intend to pop down while the engine is out and give the engine bay a clean up while it’s all accessible. To be honest it’s quite clean as it is but access around the steering hydraulics and ram is near impossible while the engine is in so will give that some attention. Will also secure the bilge pump down properly which sits under the engine which I’ve never managed to do properly.. :D

by shibbs » 02 Feb 2020, 15:44

From this..Image
To this
Image
To this
Image

Still need to tidy the wiring on that bilge pump though, it’s horrendous..
New lump should be in this week. Will post some more pictures when it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by shibbs » 02 Feb 2020, 15:44

From this..Image
To this
Image
To this
Image

Still need to tidy the wiring on that bilge pump though, it’s horrendous..
New lump should be in this week. Will post some more pictures when it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ChrisH » 02 Feb 2020, 22:49

Nice and clean though
User avatar
ChrisH

by shibbs » 17 May 2020, 19:47

Still waiting, she sat without an engine for quite a few weeks before lock down, then the whole time during lock down.
I’m hoping it will be at the top of the list but am not holding my breath...
Think this season is now lost unfortunately.
So very frustrating and absolutely nothing I can do about it, even though it was quoted as a 3 week job and was up to 3 months before lock down!!
Entirely feel like my hands are tied!

by shibbs » 28 May 2020, 20:51

Evening all.
Some advice if possible. I’m still waiting on muni new engine being fitted. In a weeks time the engineer would have had the boat 6 months!! Granted, 2 months of that have been for lockdown but even that aside, we’re now at 4 months for a job that was quoted as 3 weeks.
I’ve lost the season now as it’s simply not worth putting her back in when ( or if) I ever get her back.
Does anyone know where I stand with this, I’d like to get some legal advice as to be had enough. Don’t really know where to go to get it.
If I had the time I would take the boat back and the new engine and do the job myself but I simply don’t have the time to do it.
My wife is convinced we’ve been conned, I’m literally so angry about it I’m at a loss as what to do..?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

by ian h » 29 May 2020, 21:15

Who is doing the work on boat ?
VIA PM if like .

I had a case a few year ago when someone I had asked took my legs off to be painted, I was quoted 1-2 weeks they were off for 12 . I lost most of the season,
The next year they had to come off again as the paint was flaking off. Again the same scenario ,
The third year the second paint coat came off , I lost patience with the person and had to threaten legal action, I did get my money back.
Now they look terrible again, need to find someone to place a couple of coats of antifould on them.
ian h

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair