• Boat Banter

It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:32
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts
  • Who is online
  • In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Most users ever online was 1736 on 21 Nov 2020, 15:51
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Top tip for mold mitigation

by betty boop » 13 Oct 2018, 15:49

ChrisH wrote:I'm also considering covering my engine in a duvet. And not winterising as She will be on the water until January . Probably will when she gets lifted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

watch out i used to do that with blankets tc. then used a sleeping bag one year and it all went horrible wrong with mould everywhere. possibly the nylon but not sure so now I dont cover it at all - just shut the pod but leave the side door open a tad. The last few years on both engines 3.0l and 4.3 mpi Ive had rust peel the paint off in places over winter. may be coincidence or something Im doing - who knows? this year definitely a green house heater - £16 from toolstation
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 13 Oct 2018, 17:25

betty boop wrote:
ChrisH wrote:I'm also considering covering my engine in a duvet. And not winterising as She will be on the water until January . Probably will when she gets lifted.

watch out i used to do that with blankets tc. then used a sleeping bag one year and it all went horrible wrong with mould everywhere. possibly the nylon but not sure so now I dont cover it at all - just shut the pod but leave the side door open a tad. The last few years on both engines 3.0l and 4.3 mpi Ive had rust peel the paint off in places over winter. may be coincidence or something Im doing - who knows? this year definitely a green house heater - £16 from toolstation
I've no power unfortunately:-(

ChrisH
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

by MartynG » 22 Oct 2018, 07:18

I used to use moisture traps in my previous smaller boat but we rarely occupied it in the winter.
The moisture traps cannot cope with the moisture created by people.
So I invested in a dehumidifier .
https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/st/d ... OtEALw_wcB

For the engine bay I have a low wattage tube heater ona thermostatic control set to cut in at 5 degrees.
MartynG
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

by ColinR » 22 Oct 2018, 11:29

Ventilation is king imho. Plus those bags of salt that you bung in the oven every couple of months to dry them out.
ColinR
All round Jolly Good Chap
All round Jolly Good Chap

Previous

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

User Menu