  • In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Top tip for mold mitigation

by ChrisH » 30 Sep 2018, 19:16

Shared this with Stu when we met up. But top tip from my brother from his static caravaning days. To reduce mold growth over the winter. Wipe down all hard surfaces with antibacterial spray or wipes. The mold grows on the bacteria left behind by your hands. I've done this the last 2 year's and it made a significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 01 Oct 2018, 09:02

Excellent tip, I'm going to try that.

by shibbs » 07 Oct 2018, 18:46

great timing for this tip Chris, i had actually forgotten about it. I'll certainly be giving it a go.
Thanks for reminding / sharing.

by ChrisH » 10 Oct 2018, 19:35

So while on the winterising topic. What do you all do with your lockers over the winter. Open up to allow air circulation or keep shut to hopefully keep damp air out ?

I'm going to put a bucket of salt in my cabin this year. But I'm unsure whether to open up the bunks or not?

In the cockpit I'm not putting salt, but I've got a locker in the floor.
In 2 minds what's best to reduce mould build up. Keep locked, open or it doesn't matter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 11 Oct 2018, 09:37

I used to use salt but found it corrosive, so instead now I buy a bunch of these, I get them from the local hardware store, cheap as chips and after a few weeks they contain quite a bit of water. They are sold all over the place though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162671437852?chn=ps&var=461677708216

If it were me Chris, pop a couple of these dehumidifiers in the lockers, under the bunks keeping the cushions on but with air flow, maybe a block of wood to lift the cushions on an edge, spreading some of them around the cabin too.

by betty boop » 12 Oct 2018, 08:33

I use the same as Ian - I have refill bag so dump a load more of the stuff in the top of each pot and also an ice cream tub with a pile too - just so theres a few dotted around. the liquid in the bottom at spring isn't too nice though - all that is after Ive run a dehumidifier mainly for the carpet covered roof for a few days to dry it out and then close door and hatches to seal it as much as possible.

The outside gets mouldy at the first opportunity but inside nice n snug n dry in spring time. - this year I'm going to add a bar heater under the engine following last years water housing crack. Cant believe were talking winterising summer seems only yesterday.
betty boop
RNLI Hero
RNLI Hero

by ChrisH » 12 Oct 2018, 17:18

Thanks chaps.
Thought about these too.
Do you need to empty them part way through winter?
Asking as my brother used salt in a bucket last year. Pulled 10l of moisture over the winter. That seems a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by shibbs » 12 Oct 2018, 19:42

I use the moisture catchers a couple in the cabin and one in the engine bay.
I leave the cabin door slightly open and all cupboards and hatches open slightly to allow air flow.
This has always worked fairly well, along with a gap in the cover at the back to allow free movement of air.
I empty them when they need it.

by ChrisH » 12 Oct 2018, 20:35

Interesting different approaches.
In letting air circulate vs sealing off.
Each approach seems to work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 12 Oct 2018, 20:36

I'm also considering covering my engine in a duvet. And not winterising as She will be on the water until January . Probably will when she gets lifted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

Next

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair