• Boat Banter

It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 00:53
  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Volvo Penta ADP31

by ChrisH » 23 Jul 2018, 22:19

Anyone know much about these engines? I've googled and cant really find anything about them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by kwil » 24 Jul 2018, 05:54

Never heard of an ADP31, but a Volvo AD 31P is a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder, 150 HP diesel. Similar to the KAD 32 but without the compressor, it only has the turbo.

Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kwil
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 15:27

by Ianfs » 24 Jul 2018, 06:55

Keith is spot on and maybe that's why you can't find much info on it. Brokers often advertise things without much thought or take the owners word for it that its called an ADP31.

It's funny when you are looking at boats to buy, how your learning curve suddenly resembles the trajectory of a space X rocket, two years ago I had heard of an AD31 but that was it.

As Keith said the AD31 is the same engine as the KAD32, it's basically a truck engine marinised and is either an AD31P @ 150hp or an AD31L @130hp, so always worth making sure. The compressor was added after Fairline / Sealine etc and a few other manufacturers found that the 150hp engines were just not man enough to get over the hump quickly in their 28-30ft boats, so Volvo added a Compressor and bingo at 170HP much better.

So there are fors and against for both the AD31P and the KAD32. The extra power of the KAD32 is a benefit but there is also the rev range to consider as well. A few engineers have mentioned that the beauty of an AD31P in the right boat has an advantage of being able to use the whole rev range for longer i.e through displacement, semi displacement and planing speeds. A concern that nearly all have mentioned is that the KAD32 with its compressor is great for the extra power and at planing speeds but between 1400 and 2200 which is the compressor range I think (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) is not good for long term running, something to do with the clutches cutting in and out and expensive to fix.

However both engines are supposed to be burst proof and very reliable. :)

PS You will sometimes see an AD31 shown as an AD31/DP (DP is Duo prop) but there is also a TAMD31P (Turbo Aftercooled Marine Diesel) but I think these engines were for shaft driven boats.

by kwil » 24 Jul 2018, 09:02

I agree with almost everything Ian said except the 31/32 are not marinised truck engines they are designed as marine engines from the outset. As Ian says it is not recommended to run in the compressor range for any length of time which is why that engine is not used in displacement or semi-displacement boats.

Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kwil
Able Rate
Able Rate

Joined: 05 Dec 2014, 15:27

by shibbs » 24 Jul 2018, 09:14

ChrisH wrote:Anyone know much about these engines? I've googled and cant really find anything about them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

All useful and interesting reading this. I only really know about petrol engines at present ( and not that much at that) but I will definitely be going twin diesel on the next, whenever that may be.
It’s funny what you say Ian, when I look for something new I research it to death on line.
Something on the horizon Chris??

by Ianfs » 24 Jul 2018, 14:28

the 31/32 are not marinised truck engines they are designed as marine engines from the outset.

See and there was me thinking incorrectly again, nothing unusual there then eh? :D :lol: :lol:

As I said its amazing what you learn and pick up just from chatting, well cyber chatting that is and as Shibbs said its easy to research new stuff these days, except the little intricate technical details like the one above. Thank you Keith.

by ChrisH » 24 Jul 2018, 16:05

Thanks guys. As always you are a wealth of info. I guess it would have helped me if the broker provided the right info in the first place lol

Stu.. saw another Hardy seawings 254 advertised in Poole. These are the boats i was first looking at. Now i have lost a bug chunk if the season i think i will hangout and wait for the right diesel to come up.

How is the ad31 going to handle 2tons of 24ft boat. I k ow it wont be a rocket shop but i dont want to have to ask my passengers to relocate into the cabin in order to get in the plane either , any thoughts. ? Am i right in assuming that the power delivery charsctersistics of 150hp diesel will be different to equiv petrol?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by Ianfs » 24 Jul 2018, 19:32

saw another Hardy seawings 254 advertised in Poole. These are the boats i was first looking at. Now i have lost a bug chunk if the season i think i will hangout and wait for the right diesel to come up.

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1585158/

Sorry to jump in here, but that is a cracking boat. I don't think they were made with anything bigger than an AD31P but could be wrong. However consider this Chris, a Sealine 28 and a Fairline 28/29/30 which are about 5-6ft longer are about 4,400kgs ish and the Seawings is about half that, so I would not be too concerned about getting over the hump, plus you could cruise all day at semi displacement speeds in comfort.

She was designed by the renowned Naval Architect Andrew Wolstenholme, a nice bloke, who also designed other Hardy's, Brooms, English Harbour Yachts plus many more. What I like about this boat is the colour scheme but also you can enclose the cockpit with the covers, so all round comfort.

by ChrisH » 24 Jul 2018, 19:41

Thanks ian. This was the first model of boat i looked at as a replacement. In the IOW. But ince Tompa looked her icer he steered me well clear of that one. Have watched a few others priced around this mark and they did not sell and their peices reduced nearer to 17k. So i feel this is quite overpriced. Not back from holiday yet so will make some enquiries when back.

Ant thoughts on performance figures?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

by ChrisH » 24 Jul 2018, 19:54

Ianfs wrote:
[...]

Are those sealines and fairlines single engined Ian ? I thought most were twin

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
ChrisH

Next

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair