  • In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair

Yanmar 3GM30F V Pulley cold-start

by Malc » 22 Mar 2018, 23:38

Hi all,
What thread size are the four bolts that can connect to the crank-shaft V pulley on a Yanmar 3GM30?

Boat had been stood for awhile and I'd like to practice hand-cranking the engine. However, no dedicated connection point for the cranking lever like some models. It can be done by cranking the crank-shaft V pulley direct so my plan is to insert two bolts into the pulley and use them as leverage to rotate the crank-shaft.

Thoughts welcome as well.

Regards

Malc
Malc
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 23 Mar 2018, 10:08

Probably one of the most fascinating questions we have had. :)

I doubt anyone will know the answer to this one, but I'm hopeful that someone with more engineering knowledge than I might provide a solution. I'm assuming there are only threads in the pulley at the moment?

This may help a little, I couldn't upload the PDF so you'll have to view it online.........

https://j109.org/docs/Yanmar-3GM30-parts-catalog.pdf

I suspect you are way ahead of me but undoubtedly, as its a Japanese engine, they will be metric, so maybe a guess at the size?

by Malc » 23 Mar 2018, 16:48

Thank you. Very useful. I don't know if the idea will work but a least it will allow the rotary parts some movement. Once again thanks
Malc
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Malc » 23 Mar 2018, 20:05

Looking at the pdf, the bolt sizes might be the same as the coupling flange on the transmission.
Malc
Able Rate
Able Rate

by Ianfs » 24 Mar 2018, 08:37

Some useful info there then. Worth a try with one at least. :)

Return to Boat Engines etc - Maintenance and Repair